Osteoarthritis is not an acute condition, a slowly progressive destruction of the shock-absorbing tissue and reducing the amount of synovial fluid in the knee joint. Stretch fabric provides flexibility and mobility of the limbs, however, in middle-aged and elderly cartilaginous sinuses lose such property.
Interesting! You can often hear elderly people speak of "tophus". This expression is incorrect, there is no salt in the body is not delayed, on the contrary, there is a degeneration of the synovial membrane.
Gradually, the cushioning between the femur and tibia bones decreases and they begin to RUB against each other. And, despite the fact that human bones are very durable and able to withstand a direct pressure of up to two hundred pounds, from the constant friction they are erased on the spot appear natural joint osteophytes – bone spurs.
Post-traumatic form of this disease occurs in young people interested in power sports or after car accidents and other serious injuries of extremities.
If the main factors contributing to the development of the disease, we can identify the main causes of osteoarthritis of the knee:
- Age over forty, especially women.
- Systemic disease affecting connective tissue – arthritis, lupus, gout.
- Diabetes first and second type.
- Overweight, which is formed chronic increased load on the limbs.
- Being in a forced position sitting or standing.
- Post-traumatic foot condition.
In the latter case, the disease usually occurs as a complication of acute hemarthrosis with extensive hemorrhage into the cavity of the knee joint.Inadequate method of treatment or absence of medical intervention under emergency conditions – the reason for the transition in the chronic and more severe phase.
The clinical picture
Signs of osteoarthritis of the knee in the early stages often go unnoticed. A man rarely pays attention to minor deviations from the norm, typical for the first stage of the disease. When osteoarthritis knee joint symptoms can be noticed rather quickly. Appear such ailments:
- a slight rustling during movement and sudden change of posture;
- numbness in the lower leg area;
- fatigue in the evenings or after a long hike.
This is especially true of elderly people that this condition is blamed on age, and believe that it should be. Indeed, gonarthrosis unlike post-traumatic conditions for a long time does not cause severe discomfort, and very rarely people think about the prevention of this disease.
In order not to miss the occurrence of symptoms in the second degree osteoarthritis of the knee, should not go unnoticed such manifestations:
- fatigue and heaviness in the legs;
- difficulties when you need to climb some steep stairs.
However, often these symptoms are overlooked and the disease progresses. Appear clinically relevant symptoms:
- Drawing or oppressive pain increases in the evening and after waking up.
- Poor mobility of the limb.
- Swelling that does not depend on the state of the kidneys and the amount of fluid you drink.
- Gradually increasing the squeaks in the joints.
- The inability to remain long in one position sitting or standing.
- Sometimes there is redness around the knee.
Such changes are characteristic for chronic gonarthrosis. In the form of posttraumatic symptoms increases dramatically within a few hours or days of developing the clinical picture of the trauma. Dominated by sharp, hard to bear the pain, the injured leg is significantly swollen and there is redness of the damaged area, people can not step on the foot. Without treatment after injury atras develops most often quickly, in rare cases, found arrested development, in which the patient after 2-7 years, faced with the malaise.
Important! Despite the rather characteristic clinical picture, the final diagnosis after a complete examination. Diagnostic methods involve ultrasound or x-rays, face-to-face examination by a rheumatologist or traumatologist.
Obtained using ultrasound and x-ray photo will be visible to internal changes in the synovial membrane and the degree of proliferation of osteophytes. Depending on the extent of the pathological process treatment, specific methods are selected.
Types of therapy for gonarthrosis
Anyone who has put the appropriate diagnosis, be sure to ask the question: how to treat knee osteoarthritis? Medicine offers:
- conservative therapy with medication;
- related Spa treatments;
- people's ways of dealing with the disease with proven efficacy.
The ineffectiveness of treatment, surgery is indicated.
If a person was diagnosed with osteoarthritis of the knee, treatment is primarily chosen from the range of drugs. The traditional list would include various kinds of drugs, ranging from analgesics and chondroprotectors.
Ointments aimed at reducing pain and improving the General condition of the patient. Commonly used non-steroidal analgesics.
Sometimes drugs are injected directly into the affected synovial bag. To relieve symptoms is prescribed:
- Derivatives propionovoj acid.
Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory and pain relievers to effectively remove unpleasant sensations, even pain, however, have strong side effects, particular caution should be applied to people with a sick stomach and liver.
Hormonal drugs are prescribed in the third degree of osteoarthritis, when the process has gone away and requires a strong response. Cortisoothe the drug is administered directly into the cartilage cavity and have very rapid positive effects, but the side effects have an impact on internal organs (liver, heart, blood vessels) and endocrine background of the patient. Therefore, they are prescribed only in the absence of obvious contraindications and only for short term treatment.
To restore damaged articular tissue, use chondroprotectors. They are always assigned for posttraumatic departronic to stimulate the body to actively produce more synovial fluid and regenerate damaged cartilage. Chondroprotectors are taken for a long time due to the slow action. Taking them requires accuracy and consistency. Specific doses are selected based on age, peculiarities of health status and acceptability by the patient of certain drugs.
Interesting! The newest way to regenerate the cartilage fluid is considered to be the hyaluronic acid that primarily in cosmetics.
Acupuncture with joint pathologies
This method of healing for a long time were not accepted by official medical science. But now acupuncture has a strong position in the treatment of chronic diseases, including all types of pathologies of the lower extremities. Properly fitted by an experienced acupuncture is able in a relatively short time to save people from discomfort and to stimulate the body to produce synovial fluid, and the cells in the cartilage to regenerate at an accelerated rate.
The method involves the impact on biologically active zones and the restoration of the proper functioning of all living systems, it is also good for the prevention of disease States. However, acupuncture must follow certain rules. Acupuncture is prohibited under the following conditions:
- Serious immune changes immunodeficiencies, severe endocrine disorders (Cushing's syndrome).
- Tuberculosis and tendency to bleeding.
- Oncological diseases in anamnesis.
- Mental instability, depression, anxiety syndrome.
- Severe injuries.
- Intoxication of any origin, including chronic alcoholism.
Recommended the first few acupuncture sessions to visit with close relatives or friends, because acupuncture promotes significant muscle relaxation, and may need help.
Remedial gymnastics and physiotherapy
Articular pathologies of any origin are well influenced by physical therapy and physical therapy. The concept of physiotherapy is usually included manual, magnetic, mud, electrotherapy and other kinds of struggle with gonarthrosis.
Manual therapy is most often combined with complex physical therapy. Exercises are used to warm up muscles and joints. The goal of manual method:
- improving the General condition of a person;
- the increased blood flow to the affected area;
- strengthening regenerative potential of the body;
- reducing pain and other symptoms of the disease.
Specialist for this type of treatment should know their business very well. The right massage is always directed in the direction of the lymph flow, there should be either painful or just uncomfortable feelings. You should always specify the composition of the used ointments and rastirok, because the patient may be allergic to certain active components.
Nuance! If the patient will study the relevant literature and see your photos and videos, it can learn rubbing movements.
In the early stages of the disease folk remedies justify their use even more than conservative therapy. Unlike steroids or NSAIDs, they are safe for human health and have proven efficacy in mild and mild forms, and are also suitable for prevention of pathological changes.
Common recipes and methods of influence:
- The leaves of burdock in the amount of 5-6 pieces attached to the sore spot, pre-lubricated with sunflower oil. Tie a plastic bag and a woolen scarf. The compress is left on overnight.
- Birch leaves, be sure early, collected in the early to mid-April, at least, in may, placed on the patient's limb. The poultice should be no thinner than 3-4 see Also left for the night.
- Honey massage. The pre-heated foot lubricated with a thin layer of honey and gently massage for ten to fifteen minutes. Repeat every day for a month.
- Onion broth. A large onion, boil with the husks to full soft. The resulting substance to drink every day a glass.
- The celandine. Soak the juice of the plant bandage from the bandage (or cloth), wrap around the leg for half an hour. The course lasts at least a week, it is advisable to repeat it three times.
Folk technique can be combined with each other to use simultaneously several recipes. Basic rule: they should not be used as substitution therapy, and should complement traditional medicine.
Preventive measures for gonarthrosis
Approach to healing cartilage changes must be comprehensive and systematic. It implies a complete revision of lifestyle and following certain guidelines:
- The decrease in body mass. Because excess weight negatively affects the condition bones and joints, patients are recommended weight loss.
- Diet with the disease should be limited in calories, eliminate red and fatty meat, fast food, fried foods, sausages, sweets and white bread, butter. The vegetable fats, it is recommended that olive oil and as salad dressings. Beneficial use of fish and seafood, savory fruits and vegetables. You want to include in the meal plan low fat jelly and fruit jelly, preferably without sugar.
- Quitting Smoking and alcohol consumption – both damaging to all organs, including connective tissue, and prolonged experience of Smoking dust and bones, causing a related problem – osteoporosis.
- Dosed physical load. When abnormalities of the limbs is contraindicated as physical inactivity and increased activity. People, previously involved in power and extreme sports, will have to abandon your Hobbies and to replace them with less dangerous for the body. On the contrary, if a person is accustomed to sit all day in the office, he should also arrange for Hiking and Jogging, gymnastic exercises from stack gymnastics. Very useful for trips to the pool.
- The most important periodic rest and concomitant therapy with mineral waters in specialized resorts.
Patients are advised to avoid excessive exercise, especially weight lifting. For women are sometimes provided orally or injecting hormones to increase the amount of estrogen in the blood.
The prognosis for recovery
Is there a cure for knee osteoarthritis? To completely get rid of the disease is not work, but to slow down the degenerative process.The best chance of the first therapy and the second stage is post-traumatic ditartrate, whereas in the third stage, when expressed pathological processes, often conservative, the impact is not enough and requires surgical intervention.
The operation is performed in the most severe cases, when the joint is completely destroyed, it is replaced with an analogue of stainless steel or plastic. However, timely measures taken, the Outlook remains favorable, it is possible to complete the regeneration of synovial fluid and connective tissues. Monitoring of their health, prevention and correct way of life, avoiding injuries is key to the health and flexibility of the feet.