The lumbar region is the area of the spinal column that is subjected to stress more than the rest. A sharp lifting of weights, a prolonged uncomfortable posture, a weakened muscle corset - all this can lead to periodic complaints of low back pain. However, if the pain is sharp, sharp, as if shooting through the lumbar region during movements, and especially tilting of the body, this is a reason to immediately consult a doctor.
Lower back pain when bending over can be a signal of more serious problems with the body that require urgent help. In the absence of professional treatment, this unpleasant symptom as a result can lead to a dangerous exacerbation of related diseases of the back and internal organs.
Possible Causes of Low Back Pain When Bending Over
There are many reasons for aggravating pain in the lumbar region when bending the body. First of all, the pain syndrome in this area differs into primary and secondary.
Directly primary back pain occurs due to soft tissue diseases or problems with the spinal column in this area. It can be:
- lower back injuries (impacts, falls, bad turns, sprains);
- intervertebral hernia;
- displacement of the vertebrae or intervertebral disc;
- osteochondrosis of the lumbosacral region, radiculopathy;
- myositis, tuberculosis, lumbar poliomyelitis.
Secondary pains are reflected from other organs, which are thus given to the lower back. In this case, we can talk about diseases of the organs of the genitourinary system, intestinal tract.
Lower back pain when bending over can also be a warning about improper lifestyle or inadequate physical activity in this area. It can be associated with a long stay of the body in one position (sedentary work, long driving), lack of sports activity, or, conversely, overwork in the gym.
When do you need to see a doctor urgently?
Trying to cope with pain on your own, let alone endure severe pain, is unacceptable. However, in some cases, with severe low back pain, a visit to the doctor must be arranged immediately. It:
- a recent injury to the lumbar region or spine;
- a rise in body temperature in parallel with an increase in pain;
- acute pain that does not go away for several hours (days);
- feeling of numbness in the legs, lower back;
- violations of movement and coordination;
- disorders of urination or defecation.
What kind of doctor treats diseases of the lower back?
Most often, a person is not sure what exactly triggered an exacerbation of lower back pain when bending over. In this case, it is more advisable to contact a therapist, telling about the nature and circumstances of the pain. The doctor, based on his own professional skills, will attract, if necessary, a specialist of a narrower profile.
Types of diagnostics
Diagnostic methods for determining the root cause of pain syndrome are versatile. This allows you to identify as accurately as possible the trigger for lower back pain when bending over, cure it and provide the person with complete freedom of movement.
- blood and urine tests;
- Ultrasound of internal organs;
- Magnetic resonance imaging;
- CT scan.
To achieve the maximum effect and enhance the positive result of treatment, several approaches to the treatment of lower back discomfort are used at once. It:
- Drug therapy. Includes various medications for oral administration (analgesics, muscle relaxants, chondroprotectors, vitamins), anti-inflammatory and analgesic ointments and gels, injections, medicinal patches.
- Physiotherapy procedures (SWT, magnetotherapy, electrophoresis, acupuncture, darsonvalization).
- Compliance with a diet.
- Bed rest, restriction of movement, wearing a corrective corset.
- Physiotherapy. This therapy works well in cases where lower back pain is caused by weak muscles and lack of physical activity.
- Manual therapy and massage courses. The passage of such courses is curative for the whole organism in general, and under the hands of a professional, pain in the spine is very quickly relieved.
- Surgery. This is an extreme measure in the treatment of lower back pain - the basis for surgery is serious diseases in this area that cannot be cured otherwise.