Today, not only the elderly, but also young people under the age of 45 experience severe pain in the neck and back.The cause of the unpleasant symptoms lies in the presence of osteochondrosis, which is detected in 26-32% of cases.
Constant back pain reduces performance and weakens the entire body. In the absence of treatment for pathologies of the spine, the risk of disability is high. Therefore, every person leading a sedentary lifestyle, experiencing discomfort in the lumbar and cervical regions, should know how to treat intervertebral osteochondrosis at home.. . .But first, it is worth studying the causes and symptoms of the disease, which will make it possible to diagnose pathology in a timely manner, prevent surgical intervention, and the development of disability.
What is osteochondrosis
The name of the disease combines the Greek word for bone and the Latin word for cartilage. Osteochondrosis is a polyfactorial degenerative disease of the motor spinal segment, initially affecting the intervertebral disc. With its progression, the rest of the spine and the nervous system are involved in the pathological process.
To understand what osteochondrosis is and how to treat it at home, it is necessary to consider the dynamics of the development of the disease, which goes through four stages:
- At the initial stage, the degenerative process is concentrated in the nucleus pulposus of the intervertebral disc. An increased load leads to dehydration of the nucleus, due to which the height of the disc changes, and cracks in the annulus fibrosus appear.
- At the second stage, a change in the parameters of the intervertebral disc contributes to the sagging of the ligaments, muscle tissues, and a reduction in the distance between the vertebrae.This leads to high motor activity of the latter along with atrophied discs, which often ends with their slipping or displacement.
- At the third stage, protrusions, prolapses of intervertebral discs are formed, which is often accompanied by arthrosis or subluxation of the joints.
- At the final stage, the body tries to adapt to the deformity of the spine, and osteophytes appear in the affected areas, which additionally support the vertebrae. But bone formations injure them or lead to pinching of nerves. The result of all dystrophic changes is fibrous ankylosis.
You can prevent absolute back deformity if you know how to treat osteochondrosis of the spine at home. But before using the recipes of alternative medicine, it is worth familiarizing yourself with the etiology and clinical picture of the disease.
Causes and symptoms
The structure of the spine is such that it can withstand heavy loads. In order for it to function normally, a person must not forget about physical activity. A number of factors lead to disruption of the functioning of the musculoskeletal system. The main cause of osteochondrosis is physical inactivity. Excessive physical activity also contributes to the appearance of problems with the spine,associated with lifting a lot of weight.
Other factors leading to degeneration of articular cartilage:
- improper posture;
- injuries and congenital pathologies of the spine;
- flat feet;
- the effect of chemicals;
- metabolic disorders.
Overweight people, office workers, and drivers are more susceptible to the development of osteochondrosis. The likelihood of developing the disease increases with smoking, hypothermia, constant stress, wearing uncomfortable shoes.
You can diagnose osteochondrosis at home if you pay attention to the characteristic symptoms of pathology:
|Preclinical||There are practically no complaints. Sometimes there is mild discomfort, the back muscles get tired quickly.|
|Onset of dystrophy in the nucleus of the intervertebral disc||Pain appears, aggravated by intense and prolonged physical activity.|
|Destruction of the annulus fibrosus and nucleus pulposus||The discomfort becomes unbearable. It does not pass, it spreads to the rest of the ridge. There is a violation of sensitivity, stiffness of movements.|
|Disc regeneration stage||Back pain radiates to the abdomen and ribs. Unpleasant sensations intensify during body movement, coughing. There is neuralgia, numbness of the legs, decreased muscle tone, impaired functioning of the genitourinary system.|
Basic rules of treatment
Treatment of osteochondrosis at home is possible when the disease is at stages 1 or 2. Correctly selected complex therapy will help eliminate pain, prevent further progression of the pathological process. In advanced cases, it is necessary to carry out an operation involving plastic surgery of the intervertebral disc.
In order for home treatment to help remove discomfort in the lower back and cervical spine, in addition to using folk remedies, it is important to follow a number of recommendations. So, any recipes for alternative medicine must be agreed with a doctor, even despite the minimal risk of side effects.It is equally important to stick to your diet and daily routine.. . .
For a complete recovery, it is necessary to carry out complex treatment, including manual therapy, gymnastics, rubbing, applying compresses, taking medications prescribed by a doctor. It is recommended to wear bandages or orthoses that support the spine, as well as the use of an orthopedic mattress and pillow.
When resorting to the methods of traditional medicine for diseases of the spine, it is worth remembering that non-traditional therapy requires an integrated approach, and the healing process will be long. But before you learn how to cure acute osteochondrosis at home, you need to visit a doctor and go through all the studies assigned to him. After that, the doctor will prescribe medications, without which traditional medicine for a herniated disc will be ineffective.
How to treat osteochondrosis at home? The following are the leading drugs used to treat the symptoms of the disease.
|Drug group name||Action and application features|
|Muscle relaxants||They are prescribed together with diuretics, which allows you to restore muscle tone, remove tissue swelling.|
|Anti-inflammatory drugs||Non-steroidal drugs have an analgesic effect. The dosage is divided into 4 doses per day. The tablets are drunk after meals with water.|
|Herbal sedatives (teas, tinctures), tranquilizers (antidepressants)||They prevent neurotization, which reduces the intensity of painful sensations.|
|Multivitamin complexes||They restore the structure of nerve fibers. The drugs are taken orally for 21 days.|
Physiotherapeutic procedures are considered one of the most effective and gentle ways to cure chondrosis at home. Thanks to natural treatments, it is possible to act directly on the inflamed area. After several sessions, the mobility of the damaged vertebrae is restored, swelling, discomfort disappears, immunity increases, and blood circulation is activated in the affected area.
There are many types of physiotherapy procedures performed in sanatoriums and clinics. At home, they use therapeutic baths, exercise, massage.
This procedure significantly improves the state of health in osteochondrosis: relieves inflammation, pain, activates metabolism, dilates blood vessels, eliminates muscle spasms.For diseases of the spine, it is recommended to add chamomile, birch buds and leaves, mint, chestnuts, needles, thyme, thyme, horsetail, bird knotweed, string, lemon balm to the bath.
Treatment of spinal chondrosis at home with natural herbal decoctions is carried out according to the following scheme:
- 300 g of dried plants are poured with five liters of boiling water.
- The broth is infused for 2 hours, added to the bath.
- The duration of the water procedure is up to 15 minutes.
- The course of therapy is 30 days.
Effective treatment of chondrosis at home is impossible without exercise therapy. Exercise improves blood flow and relieves muscle tension.
Gymnastics for osteochondrosis:
- The patient lies down horizontally, his back is firmly pressed to the floor. One palm is on the chest and the other is on the stomach. After a slow inhalation, he raises his stomach, chest, and when exhaling, he slowly lowers them. The number of repetitions is 15 times.
- Sitting or standing position. The patient gently turns his head to the right, back, left, forward. The number of turns in each direction is 10 times.
- The patient sits on a chair, alternately presses with his palm on the back of the head, forehead, temples. The number of repetitions is 10 times.
Also, with osteochondrosis at home, it is useful to make rotational movements with the shoulders, bend the back, bring the shoulder blades, twist the torso to the left and then to the right.
Massage and self-massage
Manual therapy is an effective method that makes the treatment of osteochondrosis of the spine at home as effective as possible. Thanks to the massage, intervertebral discs and muscles are strengthened, blood flow improves. The classical execution of the procedure involves the implementation of stroking, squeezing, stretching, kneading, vibration, shock techniques.
Massage for osteochondrosis will be more useful if a session is performed using honey. Before the procedure, it is recommended to take a hot shower and dry off quickly. The heated parts of the body are smeared with honey, a palm is applied to them, and they are abruptly torn off. Honey massage is done until the hand stops sticking to the skin. After that, you need to wrap yourself in a sheet, go to bed. Take a shower in the morning.
With osteochondrosis at home, it is useful to perform self-massage. The essence of the procedure is to massage the neck and head with your fingers from top to bottom. The duration of the session is 5 minutes on each side of the spine.
Creams that can be purchased at any pharmacy will help to defeat osteochondrosis at home.
These funds include:
- gel that has a complex effect;
- ointments that eliminate painful symptoms, containing snake or bee venom, plant extracts;
- massage creams;
- non-steroidal drugs that relieve inflammation.
How to treat chondrosis of the back at home with natural ointment? Traditional medicine suggests using creams made independently from petroleum jelly, hop cones, adam root, bay leaf, juniper needles for deformation of the intervertebral discs. The natural mixture is applied to the affected areas of the body twice a day - in the morning and before bedtime.
The imposition of a multilayer medical bandage is another effective way to answer the question: how to get rid of osteochondrosis at home? The use of a compress is indicated for exacerbation of the disease to eliminate muscle spasms, stimulate blood circulation in the intervertebral discs and reduce the sensitivity of nerve endings.
The following types of applications will help to cure osteochondrosis:
- Apples and horseradish root. The ingredients are crushed, they are formed into a cake, which is applied to the affected area. From above, the place is covered with cellophane, wrapped in a warm cloth.
- Camphor. 3 ml of Japanese laurel tincture is diluted in a glass of water. There, 100 ml of ethanol, 20 drops of iodine, a pinch of red pepper are added, where gauze folded in 3 layers is moistened, applied to the diseased area. From above, everything is wrapped in polyethylene and a warm cloth. The compress is removed when there is a strong burning sensation.
- Aloe and honey. Agave leaves are rolled in a meat grinder, mixed with honey (50 g), vodka (100 ml). The remedy is insisted for 7 days. A piece of canvas is moistened, put on the back, covering it with polyethylene and a scarf on top.
Traditional medicine recommends treating osteochondrosis at home with rubbers purchased at a pharmacy or made on their own.For the preparation of funds, burdock and saber, lilac flowers and elderberries are used.Any of the ingredients is insisted on vodka or alcohol for a week.
How to treat osteochondrosis at home by rubbing? Sore areas are lubricated with alcoholic tinctures, after which the places are rolled with a warm cloth. Treatment continues until the unpleasant symptoms disappear completely.
Medicinal plants used to prepare special preparations will help to get rid of chondrosis at home. With dystrophy of intervertebral discs, the following types of medicinal herbs are combined:
- sweet clover;
- St. John's wort;
For back diseases, the treatment of chondrosis at home involves the preparation of a medicinal collection from the above plants. Dry herbs (20 g) are placed in a thermos, poured with boiling water (0. 5 liters). The infusion is taken 4 times a day, 100 ml at a time.
In order not to develop osteochondrosis of the spine, the treatment of which at home is a long, laborious process, the development of the disease should be prevented. For prevention, neuropathologists and chiropractors recommend giving up bad habits, strong tea, coffee, food, rich in fats and cholesterol.
It is also important to monitor the position of posture, systematically engage in physical education that strengthens the muscle corset. Experts advise buying an orthopedic mattress, giving up uncomfortable high-heeled shoes and wearing weights.
So, spinal osteochondrosis can be cured at home. Although therapy will be effective only if all medical recommendations are followed, including the use of a variety of therapeutic techniques.